You can increase the security of your phone by creating a screen lock. When enabled, you have to draw the correct unlock pattern on the screen, enter the correct PIN, enter the correct password, or scan your fingerprint to unlock the phone’s control keys, buttons, and touchscreen.
In order from least secure to most secure, the available screen lock options are:
Important: To protect your phone and data from unauthorized access, it is recommended that you use the highest security level available (Password or Fingerprint protection). It is also recommended you frequently change your password to ensure the safety of your phone and personal data.
Access Screen Lock Settings
- From home, tap Apps > Settings > Lock screen and security .
- The lock screen and security menu opens.
- Tap Screen lock type.
- The Screen lock settings menu opens.
- From the Screen lock type menu, tap Swipe to save the setting.
- The screen lock is set.
- From the Screen lock type menu, tap Pattern.
- Draw the screen unlock pattern by connecting at least four dots in a vertical, horizontal, or diagonal direction. Lift your finger from the screen when finished.
- The phone records the pattern.
- Tap Continue.
- When prompted, draw the screen unlock pattern again, and then tap Confirm.
- The screen unlock pattern is saved.
Note: If you do not want the unlock pattern to display on the screen when you unlock it, from home, tap Apps > Settings > Lock Screen and Security > Secure lock settings, and then tap On/Off next to Make pattern visible to turn it off.
- From the Screen lock type menu, tap PIN.
- Enter a PIN, tap Continue, re-enter your PIN, and tap OK to save the setting.
- The screen lock is set
- If you fail to enter the correct PIN after five attempts, you will be prompted to wait for 30 seconds before you can try again.
- From the Screen lock type menu, tap Password.
- Enter a password with at least 4 characters, including at least one letter, tap Continue, and then enter your password again to confirm it.
- The screen lock is set.
Important: To protect your phone and data from unauthorized access, it is recommended that you use the screen unlock password (highest security). It is also recommended that you frequently change your password to ensure the safety of your phone and personal data.
With a Fingerprint screen lock, swipe your finger over the Home key.
Note: Before using the Fingerprint screen lock option, you will need to register your fingerprint on your phone.
- From the Screen lock type menu, tap Fingerprints.
- Follow the prompts to set up your fingerprints.
Note: Fingerprint recognition uses the unique characteristics of each fingerprint to enhance the security of your device. The likelihood of the fingerprint sensor confusing even small areas of two different fingerprints is very low. But in rare cases, the sensor may recognize a fingerprint that is similar to a registered fingerprint.