Meet friends and family online, share photos, host video calls, and send SMS and Hangouts messages. Log in to a Google Account beforehand (see Google Account).
- From home, tap Apps > Google > Hangouts .
- The Hangouts app will open.
- Tap Add , and then tap New conversation.
- Type a name, email, number, or circle, or select a contact from the list.
- Type a message or tap Video chat to start a video chat.
- A chat window or a video chat window opens.
- Each time text is entered, the corresponding friend appears.
- If a friend is not in a Hangout, you will see a message. Tap Send invitation to invite them to join the Hangout.
- Ending a Chat: Tap the Back key.
- Ending a Video Chat: In the video chat window, tap End .
- Disabling Chat History: If you do not want to keep chat history, in the chat window, tap More options > Options, tap On/Off next to History.
- Delete Chat History: To delete all your chat history, in the chat window, tap More options > Options > Delete conversation > Delete.
Note: You can use Hangouts as your phone’s default messaging app, or as a standalone IM app. If you set Hangouts as the default messaging app, the Messages app will be disabled. For more information, see Default Applications.