Open topic with navigation
Hangouts is Google's instant messaging service. Use to communicate with other Hangout users, as well as for video calling. Log in to a Google account beforehand (see Google Account).
- From home, tap Apps > Google > Hangouts .
- The Hangouts app will open.
- Tap Add to start a new Hangout and select the type of hangout to start.
- Type a name, email, number, or circle, or select a contact from the list.
- Type a message or tap Video to start a video chat.
- A chat window or a video chat window opens.
- Each time text is entered, the corresponding friend appears.
- If a friend is not in a Hangout, you will see a message. Tap Send invitation to invite them to join the Hangout.
- Ending a Video Chat: In the video chat window, tap End call .
- Disabling Chat History: If you do not want to keep chat history, in the chat window, tap More options > Turn history off.
- Delete Chat History: To delete all your chat history, in the chat window, tap More options > Delete > Delete.
Note: You can use Hangouts as your phone’s default messaging app, or as a standalone IM app. If you set Hangouts as the default messaging app, the Messages app will be disabled. For more information, see Default Applications.