Use iris recognition as an alternative to entering passwords in certain apps. You can also use your irises to verify your identity when logging in to your Samsung account.
Warning! Some people may have dizziness, seizures, epileptic seizures or blackouts triggered by light flashes or patterns, even if they have never had a seizure or blackout before. Anyone who has had a seizure, loss of awareness, or other symptom linked to an epileptic condition, or has a family history of such symptoms or conditions, should see a doctor before using the Iris Scanner.
DO NOT stare directly into the infrared iris recognition LED as prolonged use can cause eye strain. Do not stare at the iris recognition LED light when your eyes are less than 20 cm (~8 inches) away from the device, for best results keep your eyes between 25-35cm (~10-14 inches) away for optimum recognition.
Note: The Iris Scanner is not intended to be used as a medical device and the biometric data collected and stored locally by the mechanism is not intended to be used for any diagnostic, therapeutic, or preventative purposes. Please follow all instructions for use of this feature.
For best results, remove eye glasses and sun glasses. Do not use the Iris Scanner in bright sunlight or areas with excessive reflected light (for example, by the pool or seashore). Do not use the Iris Scanner in low light. Look straight at the device (not up, down or sideways), and hold your head still for the scan. Tinted contact lenses and surgically repaired or replaced iris lenses may interfere with operation of the Iris Scanner. Do not walk or operate a vehicle while using the Iris Scanner.
Please follow all instructions for use of this feature. For more information, refer to the online support content or visit samsung.com/us/irisscanner.
To use your irises to unlock your device, you must set a pattern, PIN, or password. For best results, perform the setup process indoors, and remove your glasses or contact lenses.
- From the Screen lock type menu, tap Irises.
- Follow the prompts to register your irises.
Note: To register just one of your irises, tap Register one iris on the setup screen.
Iris verification can be used for other accounts accessed from your device.
- From the Lock screen and security menu, tap Irises for the following options:
- Remove: Delete existing irises.
- My irises: Manage your existing irises.
- Mask on preview screen: Choose a mask to display when using the iris scanner.
- Web sign-in: Enable to use your irises to sign in to websites.
- Verify Samsung account: Enable to use your irises to verify your Samsung account when you access a feature or app that requires it.
- Iris unlock: Enable to unlock the device using your irises.