Open topic with navigation
The messages settings menu lets you control options for your text and MMS messages including message limits, size settings, and notifications.
- From home, tap Messages.
- Tap Menu > Settings for options:
- Default messaging app: Choose an app to use by default.
- Bubble style: Choose how messages appear on the screen. Bubbles are the boxes that surround each message.
- Background style: Choose the background of the message screen.
- Split view: Turn on split view when the phone is in landscape mode.
- Change font size: When enabled, you can change the text size while reading a message by pressing the Volume key up or down.
- Text templates: Create and manage text phrases that you can add to messages.
- Text messages:
- Auto combination: Choose whether long messages that are received in multiple parts are automatically re-assembled to display as a single message.
- Multimedia messages:
- Group conversation: Control how messages to multiple recipients are handled. When enabled, a single message is sent to multiple recipients. When disabled, a separate message is sent to each recipient.
- Auto retrieve: Choose whether message attachment(s) are automatically downloaded when you display a multimedia message. If you disable this option, only the message header displays in the message list, and you will be prompted to download the attachment(s).
- Roaming auto retrieve: Automatically retrieve messages while roaming.
- MMS alert: When enabled, your phone will alert you when you make a change to a message that will convert the message to a multimedia message (MMS).
- Delete old messages: When turned on, your phone will automatically delete the oldest messages when the maximum number of messages is reached. Tap the ON/OFF switch to turn the setting on, and then set the maximum number of messages with the Text message limit and Multimedia message limit settings below.
- Text message limit: Set the maximum number of text messages per conversation.
- Multimedia message limit: Set the maximum number of multimedia messages per conversation.
- Notifications: When turned on, notifications for new messages display in the Status Bar. Tap the ON/OFF switch to turn the setting on, and then configure options:
- Notification sound: Choose a sound to play for new message notifications.
- Vibrate: Choose whether vibration plays along with the sound for new message notifications.
- Repeat message alert: Choose how often your phone notifies you of new message(s).
- Pop-up display: Choose whether a new message pops up on the display to notify you.
- Preview message: Choose whether a short preview of new messages displays in the Lock screen and/or Status Bar.
- Emergency alerts: Configure emergency alert settings. You can enable or disable some alerts: Extreme Alert, Severe Alert, Amber Alert, and Emergency alert test messages. You cannot disable Presidential alerts.
- Emergency alerts: Choose types of messages to receive. You can enable or display any of the message types, except for Presidential Alert. You can also choose to receive emergency alert test messages.
Important: The Commercial Mobile Alert System (CMAS) system provides the government the ability to send geographically targeted notifications of emergencies, such as threats to public safety, severe weather events, a hazardous material spill or a missing child in the phone user’s area.
- Emergency notification preview: Play a sample emergency alert tone. Tap Stop to cancel the playback.
- Vibrate: Select vibration options for emergency message notifications.
- Alert reminder Configure the reminder interval.
- Signature: When turned on, a text signature is included in all messages you send. Tap the ON/OFF switch to turn the setting on, and then tap Edit signature to customize the signature.
- Spam filter: When turned on, your phone block messages that may be spam, by filtering based on criteria you set. Tap the ON/OFF switch to turn the setting on, and then configure filters:
- Add to spam numbers: Enter telephone numbers, to automatically flag messages from the numbers as spam, when Spam settings is enabled.
- Add to spam phrases: Enter text phrases, to automatically flag messages as spam when they contain the phrase. Available when Spam settings are enabled.
- Block unknown senders: When enabled, your phone blocks messages from numbers that are not stored as contacts.