Reset your device to factory defaults, erasing all data from your device.
This action permanently erases ALL data from the device, including Google or other account settings, system and application data and settings, downloaded applications, as well as your music, photos, videos, and other files. Any data found on an external SD card is not affected.
Note: When you sign in to a Google Account on your device, Factory Reset Protection is automatically activated. This protects your device in the event it is lost or stolen. For more information, see Factory Reset Protection.
If you reset your device to factory default settings with the Factory Reset Protection (FRP) feature turned on, you must enter the user name and password for a registered Google Account used on this device to regain access to the device. You will not be able to access the device without the correct credentials.
Warning: If you reset your Google Account password, you must wait 24 hours after changing your password to perform a factory data reset on your device.
Before resetting your device:
- Verify that the information you want to keep has transferred to your storage area.
- Log in to your Google Account and confirm your user name and password.
Tip: Before performing a factory data reset on your phone, you may want to unmount an installed SD memory card to avoid losing any data you may have stored on it. From the Home screen, tap > Settings > Storage > to unmount the SD card.
To reset your device:
- Tap > Settings > General tab.
- Tap Backup and reset.
- The Backup and reset menu opens.
- Tap Factory data reset.
- Read the factory data reset information page and tap RESET PHONE.
- Follow the prompts to perform the reset.
- Your phone will power down and reset itself, which may take up to 10 minutes.
- When the phone restarts, follow the prompts to complete setup. See Complete the Setup Screens to start over.
Note: Unless you removed all Google Accounts from the phone before performing the Factory data reset, you will need to sign in to the Google Account that was previously assigned to the phone to complete setup.