Use the Google Maps app to determine your location, find directions, browse local businesses and attractions, rate and review places, and more.
- Before using any location-based services, you must enable your phone’s location feature. For information about setting your phone’s location options, see Location Settings.
- The Google Maps application does not cover every country or city.
When you open Google Maps, you can easily find your location on the map or check out nearby places by panning and zooming in and out on the map.
- Tap > > Maps.
- Tap to show your current location. The blue marker or shows your location on the map.
- Tap to turn Compass mode on. In Compass mode, the map orients itself depending on the direction you’re facing. To exit Compass mode, tap .
- If you want to see more information overlaid on the map, tap , and then tap a map view such as Traffic or Satellite to toggle the view on and off.
Navigate the map using finger gestures.
- Slide your finger on any direction to pan.
- Double-tap the map or slide two fingers apart over an area to zoom in. To zoom in while holding the phone with one hand, double-tap with your thumb and hold the second tap, and then drag your thumb down.
- Double-tap the map with two fingers or slide two fingers together over an area to zoom out. To zoom out while holding the phone with one hand, double-tap with your thumb and hold the second tap, and then drag your thumb up.
- Touch and hold an area with two fingers and then drag your fingers in a circular motion to rotate the map.
- Touch and hold an area with two fingers and then swipe up to see an angled view of the map. Swipe down to return to overhead view.
In Google Maps, you can search for a location, such as an address or a type of business or establishment (for example, museums).
- Tap > > Maps.
- Tap "Search here" and then enter the place you want to search for.
- Tap Search on the keyboard or tap a suggested search item.
- If there are multiple search results, they will be indicated by red dots or smart map icons. Scroll down the screen to see all of the search results. If the list collapses and shows only the map, tap Show list to display the search results again.
- Tap an item from the search results to check the address, get directions, see the location in Street View (if available), and more.
Note: To clear the map and search another location, tap .
Get detailed directions to your destination. Google Maps provides travel directions by car, public transit, bike, or foot.
- Tap > > Maps.
- Tap Go .
- Choose how you want to get to your destination.
- Use your current location as starting point, or tap Your location to enter your starting point or select a location from your search history.
- Tap Choose destination, and then enter or select your destination.
Note: If you’re taking public transit, tap to set the date and time of travel, or tap Options to set your route preferences.
- Tap a route or transit option to view the directions on the map. You’ll also see the travel duration for each travel option.
- Tap the info sheet to view the directions in a list.
- When you’re finished viewing or following the directions, tap to reset the map.
- Your destination is automatically saved in the Google Maps history.
Get Help with Google Maps
Get help and more information about Maps.
- In Google Maps, tap > Help. The Web browser opens and takes you to the Google Maps help site.