When you switch on the HTC U11 for the first time, or after you've done a factory reset, you'll need to set it up. The setup screens help you set up certain features and preferences on your phone.
Before you do the setup, first back up your old phone using Android Backup Service if you want to restore your apps and settings to HTC U11. To find out how to do the backup, see Using Android Backup Service see Android Backup Service.
Note: You may be able to complete the setup screens before your phone has been activated on your account.
- If you need to navigate by voice feedback, turn on TalkBack by pressing and holding two fingers on the first screen until you hear a message and then a beep. Or if you accidentally enabled TalkBack, follow the onscreen tutorial to turn it off.
- From the Welcome screen, select a language and tap Let's go.
- To skip any section, tap Next or Skip.
Note: If you are visually impaired or hard of hearing, touch and hold the screen with two fingers to enable TalkBack. Tap Accessibility settings to change accessibility options.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to complete each section. For each topic, you will have the option to skip it and continue to the next screen.
- Set up Internet access – Select Mobile data or select a Wi-Fi® network to connect to. For secured Wi-Fi networks, you will need to enter a password.
- Hands Free Activation – See Activate Your Phone.
- Sign in with your Google Account – Enter your Google Account email or phone number and tap Next. If you don’t have a Google Account, tap More options > Create account.
- Welcome – Enter your Google Account password, tap Next > I agree.
Note: You do not need to sign up for a Google Account to use your phone. However, to download apps from the Google Play™ Store, you must link your phone to a Google Account.
- Which device? – If you have backed up your old phone’s data to your Google Account, you can easily restore that backup on your new phone using Android Backup Service.
- If you backed up your old phone using Android Backup Service, tap the phone name. Tap to select the apps to install, and then tap Restore.
- If you want to start fresh, tap Don't restore.
- Google services – Read information about Google's location services and ways to improve your Android experience.
- Google Assistant – Set up Google Assistant on your phone. Tap Continue, give permission to the Google Assistant app, and then tap Yes, I'm in. To further customize Google Assistant, follow the instructions on the next screen, or tap Do it later to set it up some other time.
- Accelerated Location – Select Location Consent if you agree to share your location.
- HTC Account – Sign in to your HTC Account to use the same login credentials for HTC services such as Themes and HTC Sense Companion.
- Edge Sense – Set up Edge Sense so you can instantly take camera shots or perform other actions by simply squeezing your phone.
- Protect your phone – Register a fingerprint to help secure your phone. Tap Skip for now to do this later in Settings > Fingerprint scanner.
- Tap Finish.
- Your phone is now set up for use. If you skipped any part of the setup, you can access additional options through the Apps screen or through Settings.
Note: Some features that need to connect to the Internet such as location-based services and auto-sync of your online accounts may incur extra data fees. To avoid incurring data fees, disable these features under Settings.