Hangouts is Google's instant messaging service. Use to communicate with other Hangout users, and also use video calling. Log in to your Google Account beforehand (see Google Account).
- Tap > > Hangouts.
- The Hangouts app will open.
- Type a name, email, number, or circle, or select a contact from the list.
- Type a message or tap to start a video chat.
- A chat window or a video chat window opens.
- Each time text is entered, the corresponding friend appears.
- If a friend is not in a Hangout, you will see a message. Tap Invite to invite them to join the Hangout.
- Ending a Chat: In the Hangouts window, flick the chat from left to right.
- Ending a Video Chat: In the video chat window, tap .
- Disabling Chat History: If you don’t want to keep chat history, in the chat window, tap > Turn history off.
- Delete Chat History: To delete all your chat history, in the chat window, tap > Delete > Delete.
Note: You can use Hangouts as your phone’s default messaging app, or as a standalone IM app. If you set Hangouts as the default messaging app, the Messages app will be disabled. For more information, see More Wireless & Network Settings.